The Monbukagakusho Honor Scholarship is also in the realm of the MEXT scholarship. Under the Japan Student Services Organization this international opportunity to study in Japan is available. There are a handful of requirements before applying to this incredible and life changing scholarship. The Japan Student Services Organization or JASSO for short, was founded on April 1, 2004 by rearranging and integrating the scholarship loan programs provided by the Japan Scholarship Foundation. These scholarship programs for international students and the student support programs are provided by the government.
This scholarship actually has thousands of scholarships under this level, around 7,000 to be exact. This offers more opportunities for students.
Requirements & Eligibility
- Must be an international student
- Must have a passport that’s valid
- Must live in a country or state that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Only ages from 17 to 35 can apply
- Acquire a Japanese Student Visa
- The candidate is either enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate school in Japan or has an undergraduate degree, at the least, and is enrolled as a research student at the graduate level.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper) or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an advanced course or preparatory Japanese language program in an undergraduate school, junior college or college of technology in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in a university preparatory course in an educational institution in Japan with the objective to enroll in a university.
- The candidate is enrolled in a Japanese language institute with the objective to advance to an undergraduate school, graduate school, junior college, college of technology or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- GPA must be at a minimum 2.30
- After the scholarship is granted, the candidate must agree to cooperate in the career path survey conducted by JASSO through the educational institution in which the candidate is enrolled or other methods.
- If the student has a financial supporter in Japan, his/her annual income must be less than 5 million yen.
- A student must not be receiving or enrolled within another scholarship.
- A student must not be already accepting JASSO finical scholarship support or else the application will be dismissed.
Awarded If Selected
- Japanese language institutes: 30,000 yen per month
- Graduate/undergraduate level: 48,000 yen per month
- Scholarship covers the 12-month span
- Late March | Notice of invitation of applications (JASSO to Institutions）
- Mid-May | Last date for recommendations (Institutions to JASSO）
- Mid-June | Determination of selection results
- Mid-July | First transfer of scholarship (For April to June)
Always check the website to ensure that the deadline time has not changed because of covid restrictions. Also, the conditions stated out in the “eligibility & requirements” section must be followed and met, if not there is a good chance you could miss out on this amazing higher education opportunity.
Learn more here: https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/study_j/scholarships/shoureihi/index.html